Women who use the Mirena IUD, and similar birth control devices that release the hormone levonorgestrel, may develop Pseudotumor Cerebri (PTC), a serious neurological condition that causes intracranial fluid accumulation (build-up of fluid around the brain).
Seek medical attention immediately If you were implanted with a Mirena IUD and you are experiencing the following symptoms:
- Severe migraine headaches
- Tinnitus – a whooshing sound in the ear
- Blurred vision
- Double vision
- “Halo” vision
- Nausea and vomiting
- Neck, shoulder, or back pain
Symptoms of Mirena Pseudotumor Cerebri
Pseudotumor cerebri increases cranial pressure and can produce symptoms that are similar to those of a brain tumor. Women who develop PTC may experience severe migraines, memory problems, and cognitive impairment. This fluid buildup can also cause swelling of the optic disc which can lead to double or blurred vision, vision loss, or permanent blindness.
Women who develop Mirena PTC should have the device removed immediately. However, because PTC is a relatively rare disorder, diagnosis often takes an extended period of time. To aid diagnosing, if you are experiencing the symptoms of PTC, be sure to tell your doctor you have been implanted with the Mirena IUD.
Once diagnosis is made, physicians typically try to treat PTC with medications designed to slow the body’s production of cerebrospinal fluid. However, if these treatments do not work, the patient may need to undergo multiple spinal taps (lumbar punctures) or have a shunt inserted to drain excess fluid from the brain. Both of these procedures can introduce their own set of health problems including infection and pain.
Mirena Pseudotumor Cerebri Lawsuits
A growing number of women who suffered PTC after being implanted with the Mirena IUD are filing complaints against Bayer Healthcare alleging the pharmaceutical giant –
- Knew or should have known about the increased risks of PTC
- Failed to warn physicians and their patients about the dangerous side effects of the device, including brain injury and blindness
- Engaged in deceptive marketing practices
- Concealed the harmful side effects of the Mirena, including the increased risk of developing PTC
- Produced, marketed, sold, and distributed a knowingly defective product Failed to provide adequate warnings about PTC
- Failed to provide adequate warnings about PTC
- Failed to instruct the medical community about Mirena PTC
These PTC lawsuits are in addition to the thousands of lawsuits that have been filed against Bayer alleging the company failed to disclose the risk of spontaneous uterine perforation and device migration of Mirena. These lawsuits also allege the company used deceptive marketing practices to increase sales and profits.
If you have been Injured by the Mirena IUD call us at 1-800-223-3784 for a free case evaluation.